lid construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:46:41 -0500

And then there is MDF. But doesn't that sag over time? And boy, it sure =
is heavy.

How did you get the whole core assembly flat?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:17 AM
  Subject: Re: lid construction

  In a message dated 2/3/2004 5:05:47 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
lclgcnp@yahoo.com writes:
    P.S. Is poplar better for a  lid this size than
    furniture grade plywood, like beech???
    Just curious. I have a  lid to build also, and am
    really interested in learning what everyone knows
    about this.
  I chose poplar simply because it is what I have found in every lid in =
which I have seen the core.  Also its weight to strength ratio is very =
good.  This is an 8' piano and weight does become an issue. Solid wood =
is stiffer than ply wood which is another reason I chose not to use ply =
wood.

  Andrew Remillard=20
  2417 Maple Ave
  Downers Grove, IL 60515