Soundboard stiffening

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:04:24 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Hunh? When was thelast time you compressed a spring by
>hand???

Never.  I just make this stuff up because it's sure to annoy someone.

>  Everyone I've ever compressed definitely
>offers more resistance ( stiffness) the further it is
>bent, or compacted.
>      Twoing

Resistance (which is a force) is not stiffness (which is a mechanical
property), in my definition of the terms.  Stiffness is spring rate, or the
amount of load required to cause a unit of deflection.  If a spring (or a
beam, or a soundboard) has a linear spring rate, then it takes twice as
much load to deflect it twice as much, three times as much load to deflect
it three times as much, etc.  You have to put on more load to get more
deflection, but the stiffness is not changing.  Most common coil springs,
made from wire of constant diameter, with coils at a constant spacing, have
a linear spring rate within their working range.  If you take one between
your fingers and squeeze it you'll have to put on more and more load to
compress it more and more.  That doesn't mean it's getting 'stiffer'.  If
it takes 5 lbs to deflect your spring 1/4 inch, then the spring rate (or
stiffness) is 20 lbs/in.  So, it will take 10 lbs to deflect the spring 1/2
inch and 15 lbs to deflect it 3/4 inch.  You have to increase the load or
force on the spring to squeeze it down, but the spring rate is not changing.

If you don't believe that, it's easy enough to demonstrate for
yourself.  Take a coil spring and an accurate  gram-scale.  Take a ruler or
other measuring device with evenly space units on it - tape it or stick it to a
block of wood or other support so that it will stand up on its own.  Place the
spring and the block with the ruler on the gram-scale.  Zero the
scale.  Push the spring down some measurable amount on the ruler that would
be within the normal working range of the spring.  Note the reading on the
gram-scale.  Push the spring down so that the deflection on the ruler shows
twice what it was when you took the first reading.  Note the reading on the
gram scale.  It should be twice what the first reading was.  It's taking
more force to push the spring down farther, but the spring rate (load
divided by deflection) has not changed.

Phil Ford