Odd tuning system

Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:46:00 -0000

Hello List and Phillip
Yes! I have just looked at the photos..... It brings back memories of how I
turned up at the University with my normal tuning kit only to be faced with
this strange arrangement. Needless to say I wasn't as lucky as you so I had
to return to base and find a tube-spanner an a ring-spanner to turn it. Then
I discovered the tube spanner wouldn't go in between the tuners. Back to
base again and grind off the maximum possible without going through. I do
remember that in the piano case was a sort of shelf with three holes in it
and realised that must be to put the strange tools in for storage between
tunings. So I'm very glad to have a view of the original tuning key in your
photo. The action of this beast is a "roller-notch" and I had to make up a
set of long curly springs to work the jacks. Right? About 1978 it was. The
only problem I had in the tuning was lack of "feel" to know how the string
is reacting to an increase/decrease in the tension - so I didn't feel quite
"in control" there. But it was replacing the missing strings which I found
rather puzzling. The requirement is to get the nut in the same position as
all the other nuts when the string is at tension. Rather akin to tightening
up action screws on a set of hammer-flanges in a grand and making sure the
slots all point in the same direction! Good photos, Phillip, thanks.
Michael G (UK) TGIF