Service call frustration?!?!?!?!?!?!

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:05:21 EST

Just thought I'd vent on a most perplexing service call today.  Last week I
went to do a trouble shooting call for a local dealer.  The customer, who is a
very accomplished pianist, had purchased a new very expensive piano.  The
customer only spoke very limited English.  Other than a few slightly wobbly
unisons there was nothing really wrong with the piano.  The piano had been nicely
prepped, was well regulated and voiced evenly.  Last week I spent over an hour
with the customer and could not discern one iota of what her complaint could
possibly be.  She would play a note several times and say "sound." Then she
would look at me as if to get assurance that I too heard the offending problem.
Some of the notes that she objected to had the slightly off unisons so I
cleaned up the tuning.  This did not phase her.  Finally I got some paper, took the
fallboard off, pointed out the numbers on the keys and made a chart and asked
her to mark Like, Not Like on each key, hoping to see some similarity in the
likes and not likes.  I also mentioned that if we could get someone who spoke
English that it might go better.  This week when I returned she indeed had a
friend who spoke much better English.  The chart was filled with remarks like
"Not beautiful, more exact, finish sooner, too over, etc.  After mUUUUUch
discussion with the friend I discovered that her main complaints were the undamped
high treble notes sustaining, some impact sounds of the hammer hitting the
string in the top octave, and the dampers in the bass not cutting off rapidly
enough on a very hard blow.  There was not one problem that did not fall squarely
in the range of normalcy.  I spent two hours trying to explain that there no
dampers in the high treble and that the dampers in the bass were not under
performing and I voiced three hammers in the top octave to see if that would
eliminate some offending sound.  I left feeling very unsuccessful with no idea
whether or not the customer was appeased.  She waived good-bye to me and had her
friend tell me that she would call the store and ask for me when she needed to
have it tuned.  Oh Boy! TP