Tightening key bushings

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:05:14 -0600

At 21:11 4/9/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello List and RicB
>I've often come across keys which have been "knifed" open along side the
>bushings and the new slot thus made shimmed.... Also there is a special tool
>extant with a sort of inverted "W" on one side of the metal block. On the
>other side it is flat. The object is to place the key, ivory down, on a
>solid bench, insert the middle of this "W" in the bushed slot and then bash
>the other side of the block. Sounds a bit crude - don't even know whether it
>works or not - but it's available........
>Michael G (UK)

Ya sure, by golly, it works.

ONCE!

Then you either have to replace the button or rebuild the key because you
have just splintered the wood beyond redemption.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- Apprentice Curmudgeon