Trip Charges - when to apply and why

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:20:17 -0800

My customer base extends out in a radius of about 50 miles, though most are within about 30 miles.  I don't add trip charges.  Fortunately, I have a large enough clientele that I can almost always group appointments in any given area.  Since I'm usually booking 2-4 weeks in advance, it allows me enough time to fill in other appointments on a day that I've scheduled out of the area.  So the first suggestion would to book those appointments out a ways to give you time to fill in the schedule.  If I'm having trouble filling appoitments on a particular date, I will often go into my database for the customers in that area that I've sent reminder cards too but have not yet called me back.  I call them to tell them I'm going to be in their area on such and such a date and ask if they were planning to tune the piano to see if I can book the appointment.

I think the problem is that it can become rather gray as to where trip charges start and end.  If you are trying to build a clientele and you rely on referrals, as most of us do, it can become awkward if trip charges apply in one case and not another.  Though I would hope that people are having me come for my work and not my price, I don't like to put obstacles in the way of continuing to build business.  The more customers you have, the easier it is to group them.  When starting out and building business, I think you have to be willing to eat a few trips at first.  The larger your customer base, the less of a problem it is.  An expanded geographical base can be very beneficial to your overall financial picture.

I do make exceptions, however.  I have a customer who is in an area that I would not normally cover because it's just too far.  I would normally tell them that they have to find someone else in their area.  In this case, she wants me to work on the piano (which I don't mind, it's a nice new Hamburg Steinway B), so I charge her one extra service call fee to come out on top of what her charges are.  I told her out front that I would have to do that as the trip is an extra 45 minutes each way  (my fees are based losely on a 1.50 hour appointment).  I book appintments in her direction on the days I'm going out there to somewhat minimize the extra driving.  I also told her that I would not be able to come out easily on an emergency if some small thing were to go wrong.  In addition, I installed a Dampp-Chaser system which keeps the piano very nicely in tune between tunings.  I go out twice a year.

So generally, I would not charge trip charges unless the customer is in a place that you would not otherwise travel to.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Bondi
To: Pianotech
Sent: 2/14/2004 4:08:20 AM
Subject: Trip Charges - when to apply and why

Hello to all.

I am going to open a dialogue regarding trip charges. I have personally been avoiding this charge since day one, and I am starting to think that this type of charge needs to be applied in some cases. If you read on, I'm hoping you can offer some insight.

-I got my break in this business doing dealership work..floor tunings and warranty tunings. The dealership doesn't care where they sell to, so there are times when I go a long ways to do a warranty tuning(my price to the dealership recently went up for this work, regardless of locale)

-The growth in this part of the country is starting to migrate north of me - approximently 30 miles from my home and beyond.

-I know what you're thinking: Establish a 'territory' when trip charges don't apply, and go from there.

-For those that charge trip charges, is there a set fee or does it change in regards to the mileage from the home?

-Let's say I have 2 appts. in Tripcharge City. The 2nd appointment is 10 minutes away from the first appt. Do you apply a trip charge for the 2nd appt.? - and is it the same as the charge to the first appt.?

-Would you start to apply a trip charge to those in Tripcharge City that have been customers for awhile?

-I tend to wrestle with this kind of stuff and perhaps dwell too much on it - but I do want to be fair to my clients and especially to myself.

I look forward to your comments.

Phil Bondi (FL)