Yeah!!! Political Questions ( very OT - feel free to delete )

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:39:30 -0500

Andre, David, Sarah, Y'all-

First, I think that the acceptance and use of the OT designation has been=20
remarkably successful...(exceptin' for the Porsche thread)... almost as=20
much so as the success of municipalities in convincing their citizenry,=20
whether peasant or royalty, to pick up after their pets.  It allows me, in=
=20
my manual archiving, to simply channel non-technical posts to their own=20
location, where I can look at them if I so choose, without distracting me=20
when I'm reviewing the technical posts.

This list has long had what could rightly be called a "DON'T ASK! DON'T=20
TELL" policy.  That is, we have elected to acknowledge only enough of each=
=20
other to allow a singular conversation.. about pianos.  In theory, it=20
wouldn't matter if a contributor has perpetrated some outrageous act, or=20
holds repugnant beliefs.  If their contributions to the list conform to our=
=20
expectations of content and form, then they have fulfilled the primary list=
=20
requirements.  So, what deep need is being fulfilled by the periodic=20
venture "OFF TOPIC" ?     It's natural for an active mind to make=20
associations, and sometimes it helps to relieve the tension engendered by=20
having to monitor and filter what one says to those who have become a kind=
=20
of community.  But, is there a difference between an "OT" which is simply=20
observational, and one which is intended or can be expected to be=20
controversial or inflammatory?

In fact, I think we feel the periodic need to remind ourselves that the=20
world we have created with this list is not real, and that there IS a=20
difference between a cyber community and, dare I say, a real" one.   In the=
=20
latter, we cannot easily choose to ignore those qualities that challenge=20
our own values.  While we share common endeavors and interests, we reflect=
=20
a tremendous range of experience, opinion, and convictions and we may not=20
wish to or be able to acknowledge the validity of an opposing view.  What=20
do you suppose the effect on the list would be, of our knowing the=20
political, religious, sexual, or other preferences of each of the=20
contributors?  Would it, in some subtle (or not) way, affect the way we=20
interact with each other?  This is, for the most part, a comfortably or=20
uncomfortably amoral environment, depending on your point of view.

We might choose (theoretically) to have yet another, separate place (list)=
=20
expressly for those sorts of exchanges... one which, like ptg-l, would have=
=20
controlled access.  If a few people want to have such a dialog, they would=
=20
retire to that list, whose contents would not be archived with the regular=
=20
list, a concern I find reasonable. However if, in fact, the motivation is=20
to "witness" ones beliefs in as broad a public as possible, or to change=20
the beliefs of others, such a separate list would probably prove=20
inadequate.  In that case, the only hope would be the conscious commitment=
=20
to respect the principles by which this list has thrived.

And then, of course, in these times of Homeland Security, there's those=20
paranoid types amoung(st?)  us (why do you think I'm talking about you?)=20
who suspect that any statement of conviction might be read and noted by=20
invasive authorities.

HOW ABOUT IT ANDY?  A FIGHT LIST?

Rambling pomposity at its best -

David Skolnik