damper wires hitting string

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:29 +0000

Hi List,(and Roger)

Just tuned a steinway "M" . Client was complaining about a ringing in one of
the dampers in the upper treble. I determined it was hitting the string on a
hard blow.

Removed the damper a bent the wire to avoid contact. It now looks a little off
center but is not ringing.

Then, she checks the piano again and finds four more in the extreme treble. I
noticed that the bushings were sticking up thru the hole about 1/8" on all the
dampers. Is this common on Steinways? I installed "piano life saver" about 6 mos.ago.

Can you suggest the proper procedure for eliminating the ringing dampers?

 Thanks,

Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano