OT - Mail Manglement

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:27:08 -0700

>The list would be a disaster as a newsgroup. Spam & e-mail harvesting.
>The searchable, list-generated archives are a manageable format.
>Impulse posting and those who feel compelled to post on everything
>might think twice since
>a reply takes a certain amount of effort to copy and paste relevant text.
>
>A thousand thanks go to Andy and all @ the ECC for making this happen.
>
>A tip of the hat to ye...
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page, piano technician

Jon,

As someone who uses the list in this way (and to others using it in
this way), what are your thoughts on trying to keep posts marked OT
from going into the archive?  I thought that this was a good idea
that came out of the latest round of discussions on OT posts.  But
then, I use the archive as an archive, so I've already seen the OT
posts and would prefer that they weren't in there.  Do you like
having them in there?

I agree about the copy and paste part.  It does make you think twice.
The original post on this thread was an example.  By the time I
thought to make a reply to Bill's post, I had already deleted it, so
I had to go into the archives to get it (did I really want to make a
reply that badly?)  Also, after I copied out what I wanted and closed
my browser it occurred to me that I didn't remember the subject line
and I didn't want to go back in and get it, so I had to make one up.
I now see why we see some rather cryptic or seemingly unrelated
subject lines on posts from digesters.

I agree that Andy deserves a round of applause for making all this
info so readily available.  Hip, hip, .....

Phil Ford