You vs. Them

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:57:45 EST

The first visit (when she tried to take $20 off for no apparent reason)
should have been a red flag.  That said, here's my policy.  Tuning prices plus
repair costs can be given to the customer in advance over the phone and reinforced
upon arrival in writing in the form of a price list.  A bill (ticket) for the
service call is filled out prior to starting work with the time of arrival
filled in at the top. If a tuning is done at the same time as repairs, then the
repair labor hours start ticking immediately after the tuning is completed. If
the repairs are to be done at a later date and I am giving an estimate then I
estimate time to do the repairs and keep a copy for their file or on their
card. After working in a major city with hundreds of tuners available I learned
that people like this feel like it is their duty to try to get you to discount
your services and whatever they can get you to take off is your loss and
their gain.  They don't care if a different tuner comes each and every time as
long as they get the service they want for the price they are willing to pay.
Next time she calls, tell her you have raised your prices and you don't think
she can afford you. TP