Results: tapered tuning pin replacement

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:26:21 -0500

List,

            To Jon and all others who advised me the repining of an old
Miller grand with tapered tuning pins.

     Quick summary-----I repinned the bass section of this piano---
existing pins were tapered .282 at the top of threads and .270 at the
bottom.

            With H, I,J,K drill bits on hand I chased the hole with an I
drill bit -.272. And deglazed with a 30 cal. Brass gun brush  chucked in
the drill.

            The 3/0 .286 pins were tight but not jumpy. I had the size
3.5 tuning pins from pianotek just in case some but did not find them
necessary.

            I realize not all old pin blocks will respond in kind, but
this combination worked quite nicely on this piano.

            Thanks to all who advised.

            Tom Driscoll