fallboard still stuck

Wally Scherer afinetune@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:18:55 -0800 (PST)

Well, if I could get the fallboard to move to a
45degree angle, that would be great. But, as I said it
will only move about 1/4 inch. I assume it is attached
to the cheekblocks sort of like the steinways or some
other older types.

Wally
--- gordon stelter <lclgcnp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Wally,
>     Could this be like the one I had, with screws
> holding the fallboard on via brass slats inserted in
> the fallboard ends, and visible by looking at the
> end
> with the fallboard at a 45 degree angle? Perhaps if
> you could get at those screws, you could slide the
> fallboard off the slats, then unscrew the
> cheekblocks
> and keyslip and pull the action?
>      Thump
>
> --- Wally Scherer <afinetune@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have a new customer, a restaurant, with an old
> > Brambach baby grand. Not too bad shape - new
> strings
> > and pins within the last few years, I'd say.
> >
> > Out of the left side by the bass hammers comes a
> > cord,
> > fairly new, evidently from a heater bar under the
> > pin
> > block area.
> >
> > Trouble is I can't get the fallboard to close, and
> > therefore can't get it off for action removal.
> > (Needs
> > regulation.) It only moves about a quarter of an
> > inch
> > with all the screws out from under the cheek
> blocks,
> > etc.
> >
> > I've checked with a mirror but can't see anything
> > catching. I've felt with a bent coathanger behind
> > the
> > fallboard, but can't feel anything in the way. I
> can
> > see enough between the top of the fallboard and
> > bottom
> > of the pinblock to see that nothing is blocking
> > anything there.
> >
> > I guess the next step is to hire some strong men
> > pick up the piano, after removing the lyre and
> rear
> > leg, tilt it toward the rear, and shake it to see
> if
> > anything falls out from the fallboard area.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Wally Scherer, Palm Beach County, Florida
> >
> > ____

=====
Wallace T. Scherer, Piano technician, music educator
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465
Phone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune