Knuckle removal

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:50:17 -0800

The pliers work just fine but use them carefully so as not to break a shank in half.  I prefer Renner knuckles over Abel.  I find the leather to be of better quality.  They come in two diameters so you can match what's there.    Be sure to install them in the correct direction, they are marked with a colored line which goes toward the hammer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Driscoll
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 2/23/2004 11:14:00 PM
Subject: Knuckle removal

List,
            I’ll be replacing knuckles soon on an older Steinway and am considering the removal tool offered by pianotek . It seems reasonably priced and I wondered if anybody has used it or can offer any other suggestions for removing knuckles.
            Thanks,
            Tom Driscoll

P.S. This action plays reasonably well even before clean-prep -regulate etc. So I ‘m planning on just matching the original size with Abel knuckles. Thoughts?
            Tom Driscoll