Knuckle removal

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:35:31 -0500

Isaac,
         While I'm not too sure of your question regarding the wording of=20
the first sentence I think you are asking about the accuracy of cutting=20
away the old knuckle. I've usually found the original mortise to be=20
accurate enough and I make the bandsaw blade to follow the the core wood=20
after crudely slicing off the barrel itself. Understand it is a 2 step=20
process. The first step is to slice off the barrel. The second step is to=20
slice into the core that is left. I have both cut all of it away with the=20
bandsaw and made only a cut down the canter and used some knife to pull or=
=20
chip what's left out of the mortise.  I'm not sure which I like better. I=20
suppose it depends on how well glued the old ones are. I hope this makes=20
sense. If I had power to my new shop I'd run out there and photo a demo for=
=20
you but alas I cannot. I hope you can understand my method but really, I=20
still prefer new shanks.

Greg

At 07:48 PM 2/24/2004, you wrote:

>Greg, how do you get a  good alignment in deep and placement of the=20
>mortise? This is of primal importance for regulation (to the point I=20
>unglue some rollers to get them more consistent sometime) I afree new=20
>parts are actuallty very accurate (was not always the case ) and a better=
=20
>choice, but still new rollers can be necessary sometime (graphite).
>
>Isaac OLEG

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net=20