Condemnation and obtaining for personal gain

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:39:19 -0600

My thought are that if you KNOW it's a piano that will restore
beautifully and fetch a good price, you could offer to buy the hulk
(cheap) and pay them an agreed-upon percentage of the profit you make
when you restore it and resell it. Never tried such a thing, but it
sounds like a win-win for all, if they trust you.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 10:12 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Condemnation and obtaining for personal gain

Best option would be to tell the owners that it is not worth more than a
couple hundred bucks, call a local tech ...... Terry Farrell
(813-684-3505) would be a fine one ......, and have the tech take that
old worn-out piano off this elderly couple's hands.

Yup, that's what I would do.

Operators are standing by.....

A second option, and IMHO not nearly as good as the option described
above, would be to buy it yourself. I don't know exactly what is the
salvage value of an M&H A. Perhaps some on this list can help you get a
range for that. Offer them something towards the lower end of the range.
I find that west-Florida prices are pretty consistent with much of
mid-western USA. IMHO, that would be fair to you becuase you will get a
good deal on the piano, and it will be fair to them because the price
will be within the "normal" range, but they have the ease of sale
without having to advertise it, do the pricing research themselves, have
people calling and trampling through their home inspecting the piano,
etc., etc. And of course, if they want to pursue getting a higher price,
they are free to advertise the piano and do that whole thing.

Terry Farrell