Piano Design (was Interestingly Stable)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 06:46:25 +1000

>  >>I don't know Don. I think I should spend more time building the
>designs I have drawn, and less time contributing to the list.
>There's probably little to gain from contributing.
>
>Ron O.
>

>What you need to keep in mind, Ron, and you, too, Don, is that your
>exchange is not for your sole benefit. All of us reading greatly
>benefit from your exchange, especially when it is kept civil. You
>are stating your case not to convince Don, but to educate the rest
>of us. And I appreciate the input of both.
>
>Blessings,
>Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
>PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
>Terre Haute IN  47802

Thanks for your comments Dean. I take your observations on board and
agree. I'm sure most contributors and subscribers to this list are
passionate about piano technology. We wouldn't otherwise take the
time to partake in what the Pianotech list has to offer. Subscribing
is a time consuming process for most of us.

Just yesterday morning my wife, Kristie, and I met Roger Jolly and
his wife Maree when they arrived early in Sydney, to take a short
holiday before heading down to Adelaide by train to present classes
at the Australasian Piano Technicians Convention, July 22 - 25.

We recently received permission from the Sydney Conservatorium to
borrow the Overs no. 5 for exhibit at the Adelaide convention. So for
any who might wish to take a few days off at a piano convention in
the south of Australia, it can now double as an opportunity to see
one of our pianos if you are interested. For further information on
the Convention please contact Robin Stevens,
mailto:mmrr6596@bigpond.net.au (unfortunately the APTTA website is
down at present. We'll be looking into this matter later on today).

Roger, as is usual for him, was pretty keyed-up when he hit the
tarmac. Although they hadn't slept much over the 20 or so hours they
had endured on their flight from Saskatoon, following an eat out
breakfast Roger was ready for quick city tour. We took a run around
some of the visual and cultural highlights of our city, including
also a Conservatorium visit for a quick look at our no. 5.
Fortunately the piano was in the Music Workshop with Stuart's concert
grand, which was purchased by the Conservatorium quite recently also.

By the time we toured a few more sites and had lunch, travel
weariness finally overtook our two guests. So we bid them good day
for the time being. We had a most enjoyable morning.

Getting back to your post Dean, I find the most dangerous thing for
me, diplomacy-wise, is to reply to a post and send it off
immediately. I think we can be prone to writing stuff which is bit on
the hot side in the heat of the moment. Delaying a post until the
next morning allows for a review which can allow for a certain amount
of de-steaming.

We could probably help our lot if we cool it occasionally, and I'm
referring to myself also in regard to this matter. The recent history
of certain matters pertaining to international events, might well
have had a better outcome if the protagonists on both sides had
pulled back on their respective headstrong approach, to realize that
many innocent lives have been spent in what history may view to be to
an exercise in futility.

We are indeed fortunate to be still here.

Thank you.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY