cholesterol OT OT

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:55:14 -0400

Hi Duaine,

> For real, doctors don't have a clue as to the cause of high or low
> cholesterol (as well as other ailments, like obesity)

... just like piano technicians, rebuilders, and designers haven't a clue
what makes a piano good.  (?!!!?)  Seems an apt analogy.  How come *some*
pianos with soundboards flat as pancakes sound far sweeter than *some*
pianos with beautiful crowns?  How come *some* smaller pianos sound really
big, and some bigger pianos sound really small?  How come some pianos in
really awful climatic conditions manage to hold their tune without the
benefit of a DC installation, even though they really shouldn't?  How come
two seemingly identical pianos coming off the same production line will be
two entirely different beasties?  Based on this, would it be fair to say
that none of us has a clue how/why a piano works?  Indeed, I think we have
an idea or two, just like scientists and physicians have an idea or two
about cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, etc., etc.  These ideas may not
apply perfectly to *every* piano, because pianos are complex, just like
human bodies.  Fair analogy?

As for Alzheimer's only being around for 50 years or so, that's nonsense.
Prior to our having a label for the disorder, Alzheimer's would have been
one of many ways a person would have gone "senile."  People don't go
"senile" anymore, just like they don't die of "consumption."  Does this mean
that we've "cured" these two disorders by labeling them as something else?

Is Alzheimer's caused by cholesterol meds?  If y'all like anecdotes,
consider one elderly couple I know.  The husband has the heart trouble and
is on the restricted diet, meds, etc.  He's sharp as a whip.  The wife, who
takes no cholesterol-related meds, has Alzheimer's (and is on Alzheimer's
meds) but has a very healthy heart.  Conclusion:  Being married to a person
on cholesterol meds can give you Alzheimer's but has a preventative benefit
re cardiovascular conditions, while being married to a person on Alzheimer's
meds can give you cholesterol problems but has a preventative benefit re
Alzheimer's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's at least one anecdote
available to support any position.  The job of a scientist is to go beyond
anecdotes and search for the underlying truth.  Truth?  If ya' go to Vegas
and gamble, you will lose your money, on average.  But there are some very
notable exceptions!  Some things are more certain, and some things are less
certain.  However, if you're smart, you won't take a suitcase of money to
Vegas to gamble, and you won't eat a plate full of grease for breakfast
every morning either.

Peace,
Sarah