Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:51:05 -0600

Hi Dave,
                 I would pull the capo sections a beat or so sharp to the
centre.   Lift the strings You will find the tone will get stronger and
sustain better.  After shaping and shoe shining hammers, fit them to the
strings.  Re tune to A440.  The string lifting/leveling, and hammer fitting
will have dropped the pitch back into range with the centre section.

This will have cut down on the leakage into the forward duplex. For the
worst 'zingers',  move the strings around on the capo bar, it can help to
burnish off any cups in the bar.  Lift again and re tune.

Now you are ready to start on the hammers.   Renner Blues I like to use a
single long needle  and go in very deep at 1-2 o'clock range.   aiming for
the tip of the molding About 5 or 6 insertions per shoulder usually will do
the trick.

Very lightly needle the crowns, as needed to remove any impact noise!!!!!

Frequently I can lift strings, fit and shape hammers, and never take the
needles from the box.

Treat the problems and not the symptoms.

Regards Roger