Piano Humidity Control System bashing

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:28:10 -0500

I've asked a couple of you privately for advice, but would like a wider =
opinion from this list. =20

I left a DC brochure with a customer with a new Kawai Grand.    I was =
there for the first tuning in late Oct and their house was open, the =
humidity was high,  and the owner seemed very tuning-concious.  I =
explained the main effect would be tuning stability, but general piano =
health would be better, with more stable humidity and lower humidity =
also.  (Homes here with AC on can still vary from 50-70% humidity, in my =
experience, depending on outside temp and humidity, and AC system size =
and type.  Many cool days when people open their windows have humidity =
of 80% and up to 100% sometimes.  Technicians here normally install the =
heater bars and humidistats, but no humidifiers.)

When I followed up for DC install and /or 6 month tuning, he had talked =
to their piano teacher, who has a studio in Cape Coral.  Was told that =
DC was a bad idea for a nice piano, and they "we are finding that they =
do more harm than good."  "Hot spots, etc,   better to not use one =
unless you have things sticking etc."

This is a reputatable teacher who I believe is operating under either =
old infomation, false information, or no information.  Lots of techs, at =
least in this neck of the woods used to install the heater bars without =
humidistats, and maybe that is the source of his  belief. =20

I told my customer that I believed his teacher was misinformed, and that =
I would talk to him.  Set up the tuning appt for the customer for May..  =
He is honestly convinced that he might be risking his piano by =
installing a system. =20

I feel badly for two reasons.  First, my judgement is in doubt.  Second, =
the customer possibly believes that I am just trying to sell him =
something to line my own pockets.  I did tell him that I only make about =
the cost of one tuning when I install the system.   And that he would =
likely need tuning less often with the system.    So over a period of =
time, I actually may lose income.

  I am a believer in the systems, as long as they are properly installed =
with humidistats. Have one in my own Yamaha grand piano and it has made =
an incredible difference in tuning stability.  But I have also found in =
the past that debating with someone who already has made up his mind is =
neither fun nor fruitful.

What do you think.  What would you do?=20

Dave Smith=20
SW FL