Electric Planers & Blades & Pinblocks

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:43:13 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
  Sent: March 10, 2004 3:35 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Electric Planers & Blades & Pinblocks

  Del,

  How do you sharpen your blades/knives? Or do you simply replace them with
new?

  Terry Farrell

We keep a spare set around. When the blades in the planer get dull we swap
them and send the set just removed out for sharpening. If you're really good
at this you can sharpen them yourself but we have access to a good
sharpening service and don't bother.

These machines are now available with a "Dispos-A-Blade" system. (The cutter
head holds four blades, by the way.) This is a disposable blade system that,
once installed and adjusted allow blade changing without further alignment
work. The blades are easily adjustable from side-to-side -- nick them and
you simply shift three of them sideways by varying amounts to clean up the
cut. And they are reversible -- when they get dull you simply turn them over
and have new a blade surface. A new set of these blades costs about $60.
Since sharpening runs about $25, plus the time to remove them, get them to
the service, pick them up, and re-install and adjust them, this seems a
rather good deal. Even though the initial system setup runs approximately
$350.

Del