for your (radical turn)

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:24:26 -0600

Do you always tune "Representative Victorian", or do you pick a =
different HT based on the piano and its players?  I've heard HTs can =
make spinets, in particular, sound better.

I've always thought an HT would be great for beginners, who aren't going =
to get into more than two sharps or flats for a couple of years.  May as =
well let 'em enjoy those thirds!

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 11:58 AM
  Subject: Re: for your (radical turn)

  Last week I tuned a 1980s S&S M for a new client. He just moved down =
here from Manhattan. He has always had "Steinway" technicians service =
his piano. He "warned" me that he has had arguments about whether some =
notes were "in tune" with technicians in the past.

  I raised the pitch 25 cents to A440 and tuned it to the =
"Representative Victorian" temperament on my Verituner. He sat down and =
banged out a movement from the Appassionata while I packed up my tools =
(and watched in amazement and awe). After he was done, he said "piano is =
perfect - never sounded so good". I'm not really sure if my tuning was =
that good (the piano did tune up well - I was unusually happy with it), =
if he just liked the temperament, or if his past service personnel were =
sub-par.

  FWIW, I pretty much only tune in ET on request - and that is only a =
very few pianos.

  Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20