for your (radical turn)

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 07:08:13 -0800

HT =3D Historic (or Historical) Temperaments.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andrew & Rebeca Anderson=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 6:37 AM
  Subject: Re: for your (radical turn)

  Cy,
  I used to think that about WTs (well temperaments, what is HT?) but my =
experience has changed the perception.  Originally, I tuned my wife's =
baby to Valloti-Young and it was OK, less bland than ET but nothing =
particularly interesting.  We tried a WT suggested by Paul Bailey and =
then compared it to others on paper and went for Barne's Bach WT.  We =
like it.  The Wurlizter baby sings.  She plays everything from pre-Bach =
to Katchaturian.  ( I think the Katchaturian Toccata would be really =
powerful in modified Meantone.)  I'm expecting to tune a square grand =
that hasn't been tuned since it was re-strung (Brown & Allen, ten years =
ago) in modified meantone. =20
  The more remote keys aren't merely dissonant in WTs, they have vocal =
qualities.  When Beethoven shifts gears in a piece you can hear the =
vibrato come out.  The drive to 'perfect' tuning to the modern ET was =
more industry driven than artist driven from what I read.

  Check them out, you'll like them,
  Andrew
  Las Cruces, NM