From storage to stage

Brian Doepke doepkeb@comcast.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:22:56 -0500

Are you able to get humidity readings from both locations to determine
the variance, if any?  If the variance is small, then perhaps the piano
could be ok to tune immediately after the relocation process.

Any other ideas?   Thanks to those who helped with the blocking the soft
pedal-hammer rest rail issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 5:10 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: From storage to stage

Greetings helpful folks!

In my previous life, the concert instruments were stored in nice boxes
right off the stage.  There really wasn't much of a problem with tuning
stability other than the normal seasonal swings in humidity (that is,
after the thermostat was fixed).  :-)

The big, dead hall stores its pianos on a different level of the
building than the stage.  Accepting the fact that this is where the
pianos are stored for now (and I'm not sure when or even, IF that can be
changed), how long in advance would you recommend they be brought up to
the stage?   The reality is, this is a busy place and "ideal" is
probably never going to happen.  I figure that even a day in advance
would be better than what has been done in the past--which has been the
move taking place on the day of use.  Should I try for two or more days?
It seems like it would be easiest to have a policy in place so it
automatically gets done and not have to make a request each time.
Thoughts?  Opinions?  What do you do?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT