same old/same old (yet another OT)

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:38:49 -0500

Dear            ?

A few questions.  When you took leave of posting to the list, back in June,
(So Long From PianoTunaGuy), you stated that there were others who had
already broken through the generally accepted list-policy of signing ones
name.  For my edification, would you indicate who those posters are?

Second, while I agree that there has been a recent surge in discussion of a
few OT topics, you seemed to have missed the episode where we agreed to
indicate such in the subject heading, so that those uninterested in an
occasional digression could simply delete.  This is going back now to at
least April of 2003.

If you felt that, even with this provision, the OT was getting out of
control, you could have broached the subject in a much less offensive
manner.   What was your purpose in listing the offenders "by name" and
frequency?  Is 3 OT's an outrageous number, especially coming from the
contributors you have named?

Your comment to Bob Hull (not Hulfam@) seems entirely inappropriate, in
both tone and content.

Lastly, it's true we have agreed to try to keep politics off this list, but
there are times when real life imposes itself, even into our list family
here.  Maybe political OT needs an extra layer of buffering, even from more
mundane OT.  Perhaps if there were a political chat list, just for PTG
members, it could channel the need to express these real-life concerns,
without threatening the fundamental nature of this list.  If such a list
existed as an option, I would be  less tolerant of such expressions
appearing here, in normal times, however, as Dean May indicated just now,
these are not necessarily such times.

Oh, one more thing.  If, as you stated, you are just now checking in since
you left in June,

>Checked in to pianotech today after awhile away.  Glad to see that I
>haven't missed much, evidently.

I'd day you missed plenty.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson