Tail Arcing

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:02:59 -0800 (PST)

Hello Terry,

Where are you having problems with the Spurlock
fixture?  Is it at the hammer or the shank/flange end?

I have very successfully used the fixture on Baldwin
parts and I prefer to do the arcing after the hammers
are glued to the shanks.  I did make one modification
to the Spurlock fixture:  I installed a set screw in
the shank channel to support the shank through its
entire length.  Otherwise there were no problems.

Vladan

Anyone have any slick methods for arcing hammer tails
on a set that are =
already mounted on their shanks? I have, use, and like
the Spurlock tail =
arcing jig, but the hammer/shank assembly will not fit
into the jig.=20

This work is being done on an older good condition
Baldwin grand action =
that someone installed new hammers a few years ago,
but did not arc the =
tails. They are kinda squared-off. They do not check
well and they are =
attacking the new backchecks. The piano owner is not
interested in a new =
action, but rather to just try and make this one work
reasonably well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Terry Farrell