one rubber mute

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:41:23 -0800

Listen...most of us can afford more than one mute, but David=
 lives in a depressed area and maybe we should all chip in for=
 another mute or maybe even a temp strip...;-]

Seriously...(if that's possible)this is an old style tuning=
 technique best left to the past, imho.  Extremely ineffiecient=
 unless, as David apparently has, one has the ability to get it=
 right the first time.   Otherwise retuning all strings with each=
 tweek is...NUTS!   again imho.   I, on the other hand, also tune=
 my unisons as I go but I have an SAT III which gets me quickly=
 and accurately in nearly the right place every time.   Gave up=
 the temp strip years ago when it became apparent the middle=
 string was changing by the time I got back to bringing in the=
 outside strings.

David I.

From: jason kanter <jkanter@rollingball.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: one rubber mute

Dave Anderson sez:
I tune A440, then A220 to that, tuning the right string of each=
 note first, then the middle, then the left. I check, usually=
 with the F3 below, to see that I=92m on pitch.
Then I go ahead and set the temperament (F3 to F4), putting each=
 note in relationship with its neighbors, tuning as I go.  I make=
 small adjustments to the notes through the practice of=
 =93shimming=94 the unisons, or =93cracking=94 the unisons: say I=92ve got=
 4 notes of the temperament tuned, and I decide the 2nd note I=
 tuned needs to move a little. I move one outside string=
 (usually) a slight, slight bit in the direction I want it to go,=
 then match it with the middle string, and check where it is.  If=
 I like it, I leave it; if I don=92t, I move it some more.
WHen I'm in the temperament section, I'm constantly using=
 reference strings for checks -- testing fifths with the major=
 sixth below the lower note of the fifth, for example. How do you=
 do this efficiently using a single rubber mute?

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans