one rubber mute

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:28:50 -0800

So when you, David Ilvedson, tune unisons as you go, what's your muting
procedure? I ask because I am constantly changing mine and I wonder how much
variation there is and what the best practices are. Economy of movement,
etc.

[and btw, David Andersen, I apologize for misspelling your last name in the
with an O instead of an E.]
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of David Ilvedson
  Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:41 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: RE: one rubber mute

  Listen...most of us can afford more than one mute, but David lives in a
depressed area and maybe we should all chip in for another mute or maybe
even a temp strip...;-]

  Seriously...(if that's possible)this is an old style tuning technique best
left to the past, imho.  Extremely ineffiecient unless, as David apparently
has, one has the ability to get it right the first time.   Otherwise
retuning all strings with each tweek is...NUTS!   again imho.   I, on the
other hand, also tune my unisons as I go but I have an SAT III which gets me
quickly and accurately in nearly the right place every time.   Gave up the
temp strip years ago when it became apparent the middle string was changing
by the time I got back to bringing in the outside strings.

  David I.