Carlisle anyone?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:42:53 EST

Hi Denele
 Remember me? U' of Ark piano sale?
 Any way what a pain

  Establishing the height of the bass bridge is simple but you'll need  to
repair the counter bearing height bar first.
  . The bass strings usually sit approx. 3/8 inch higher than the  tenor wire
so the counterbearing bar is probably that plus an amount taller if  it sit
in a hole as do some. These are not difficult to make. Also the  difference in
your hammer bore is the other clue. Pull strings from the hitch to  the
bearing bar at each hitch & tuning pin hole location Drill  accordingly
 Once this is done pull a string from the counter bearing to the  hitch pins.
Measures the gap/space between the string & bridge  body at each end.
Calculate this distance plus 2mm & this is your  new bass bridge height. Cut maple
fit & glue.
 All is not lost. After the new cap is on stretch a line from each  hitch pin
to the appropriate tuning pin location. Scribe a light pencil line  along
side the string. Do this for each string. Draw parallel lines on the front  &
back of the bridge cap 5/16th off each side. Now your bridge pin holes can  be
drilled accurately. Put an awl mark at the intersection of  lines as a  guide
for your bit. Use the appropriate drill bit & drill the front holes  leaning
towards the bass ( about 18 degrees) & the back set the other way.  This will
give enough stagger in the pins.
  Bevel the edges. This may be a curved bridge but the procedure is  the same.
   Hope this helps.
  Or fly me out & I'll fix it for you. Grin
   Dale

We could use some help from anyone who might be  able to send us measurements
for an old upright, Carlisle ser no. 47295 (mfg  1904).  UPS lost our
shipment to Schaff, which contained the bass strings,  bass bridge cap, and bass
bearing bar.  We are most troubled trying to  establish the height of the bass
bridge and the bearing bar. We would very much  appreciate anyone who could find
a sister instrument and send us these crucial  measurements!!

PLEASE respond directly to my email since I can't  keep up with the whole
pianotech list!  Send to _dcampbell@sprynet.com_ (mailto:dcampbell@sprynet.com)

Thanks,
Denele Campbell
Pitts Piano Service  Inc.