Carlisle anyone?

Denele Campbell dcampbell@sprynet.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:31:18 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Carlisle anyone?

    Hi Denele
   Remember me? U' of Ark piano sale?
   Any way what a pain

    Establishing the height of the bass bridge is simple but you'll need =
to repair the counter bearing height bar first.
    . The bass strings usually sit approx. 3/8 inch higher than the =
tenor wire so the counterbearing bar is probably that plus an amount =
taller if it sit in a hole as do some. These are not difficult to make. =
Also the difference in your hammer bore is the other clue. Pull strings =
from the hitch to the bearing bar at each hitch & tuning pin hole =
location Drill accordingly
   Once this is done pull a string from the counter bearing to the hitch =
pins. Measures the gap/space between the string & bridge body at each =
end. Calculate this distance plus 2mm & this is your new bass bridge =
height. Cut maple fit & glue.
   All is not lost. After the new cap is on stretch a line from each =
hitch pin to the appropriate tuning pin location. Scribe a light pencil =
line along side the string. Do this for each string. Draw parallel lines =
on the front & back of the bridge cap 5/16th off each side. Now your =
bridge pin holes can be drilled accurately. Put an awl mark at the =
intersection of  lines as a guide for your bit. Use the appropriate =
drill bit & drill the front holes leaning towards the bass ( about 18 =
degrees) & the back set the other way. This will give enough stagger in =
the pins.
    Bevel the edges. This may be a curved bridge but the procedure is =
the same.
     Hope this helps.=20
    Or fly me out & I'll fix it for you. Grin
     Dale

  We could use some help from anyone who might be able to send us =
measurements for an old upright, Carlisle ser no. 47295 (mfg 1904).  UPS =
lost our shipment to Schaff, which contained the bass strings, bass =
bridge cap, and bass bearing bar.  We are most troubled trying to =
establish the height of the bass bridge and the bearing bar. We would =
very much appreciate anyone who could find a sister instrument and send =
us these crucial measurements!! =20

    PLEASE respond directly to my email since I can't keep up with the =
whole pianotech list!  Send to dcampbell@sprynet.com

    Thanks,
    Denele Campbell
    Pitts Piano Service Inc.