Another type of bridge agraffe - Schumann

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:58:25 -0700

>  > Interesting.  Does it in fact provide two termination points?  It almost
>>  looks like one.  On the speaking length side it looks like the metal is
>cut
>
>As far as I know yes.
>
>>  away to provide clearance for the strings and the strings are only
>>  contacting at the end of the sheet metal bend, on the hitch pin side.

As I looked at the pictures some more and manipulated them a bit
(blew them up, changed brightness and contrast, etc.) I wasn't sure
if my initial conclusion was correct.

One option seems to be what I said in the last post:  clearance
around the string on the speaking side, with the strings only
contacting the termination at the end of the metal bend on the
backscale side, although strictly speaking, it's not (only) the
backscale side, since the one contact point would act like a fret,
and determine both the speaking length and the back length.  This
arrangement would require an up bearing by the string in order to
function.

Option two.  It looks like there could be a separate piece (a piece
of rod or some such) in the area where the sheet metal curves around,
just behind the front face where the cutouts for string clearance
are.  In which case it would have two contact points, as you said.  I
suppose this could function with either downbearing or upbearing, but
one would assume that it was intended to have downbearing in the
conventional manner.

>It's
>>  a bit hard to tell as the pictures are fairly small.  Any chance of a
>>  larger or more close up photo?
>
>I'll try to get better ones, but this is not my own piano, so it will take a
>while.

That would be great.  Perhaps a picture more from the side of the
termination would make things clearer.  Could you also ask your
correspondent if there is upbearing or downbearing on the bridge?

Regards,

Phil Ford