voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:06:56 EST

Terry
    Stop.!!!!!!!!!!! Do not  use 3- to 1 lacquer on these hammers any where.
I'll post later gotta  run.
   Dale

For  those who have used them, or know about them,  has anyone find it
necessary to lacquer Ronsen's Wurzen felt hammers? After hanging a set on  my
G1 yamaha, the tone is quite nice and uniform, but lacking in power.  I'm
told these hammers can be "voiced up" to some extent by deep needling  at
about 11 &1 o'clock. Will this not "mellow" the tone? They are  plenty mellow
to start with. I thought that adding 3:1 ratio of lacquer to  acetone and
soaking the lower shoulders until it wicks to the moulding  near the tip was
the way to add fff potential.
If so, what is the best  way to do this consistently from one hammer to the
next, avoiding the  crown? There is an article on lacquering in this month's
PTJ, but I'd like  as much feedback as I can get before I attempt this.
thanks!

Terry  Peterson

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com