"should I stay or should I go?"

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:37:45 -0800

<<I tune with a SAT
&gt;III.   I think that is the big difference.     >>

Whether one tunes with an EDT or not, you STILL end up tuning unisons
aurally; at least I do.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: David Skolnik &lt;davidskolnik@optonline.net&gt;
To: Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: &quot;should I stay or should I go?&quot;
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:55:25 -0500

List-
For the sake of closure, I am forwarding David I's last response to me on
this subject, which found its way off-list, along with a few comments.

At 08:39 PM 11/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:
&gt;Hey David,
&gt;
&gt;I do all kinds of concert work, hotel, clubs,
&gt;theatres...whatever...I would never be coming into a production
&gt;situation expecting everything to shut down while I tune.   I'm just
&gt;one of the pieces of the puzzle.   Saying that...I tune with a SAT
&gt;III.   I think that is the big difference.     I can see where the
&gt;stress of tuning with some noise is more compelling than asking for
&gt;quiet in your situation.   I just was having a problem with your
&gt;inablilty to tune with conversation going on at the back of the
&gt;hall...
&gt;
&gt;David I.

First, given Andre's story about his experiences at the Concertgebouw, I am
not claiming the real world to be a generous, forgiving environment. I don't
know if his experience is typical in such venues. If so, it would,
nevertheless, seem as though it should be otherwise.  Tuning shouldn't be
the latest &quot;Reality Show&quot;, to see who can prevail under the worst
conditions.

David I. says that he would never expect everything to shut down while he
tunes...that he recognizes that he is just one part of the process.  He also
said earlier that we annoy many people by what we do, implying, I suppose,
that, on some level, we deserve to have to work in a less-than-ideal
environment.  But then, he acknowledges that his point of view is predicated
on his use of an ETD.  &quot;That's the big difference.&quot;  Apart from
any other issue related to electronically assisted tuning, am I to
understand that the &quot;professional&quot; (i.e. performance-support
staff) public's interface with piano tuning should be based upon the
electronic model?  Would David I. feel differently if he had to tune aurally
in such a situation?

Lastly,  David I. had a problem with my &quot;inability to tune with
conversation going on at the back of the hall&quot;.  In fact, I never said
I couldn't  tune with such distraction.  Rather, when such conversation is
clearly non-essential, and the perpetrators are unaware that even their
whispering can be perceived, I choose to express my needs / desires. There
is no stress in doing so, other than being made aware of the projective
requirements of a large hall.  The stress comes in not doing so.  If, for
reasons reasonable or arbitrary, I cannot establish the desired environment
to work in, it then becomes my responsibility, as a professional, to adapt.
That's hardly a definition of a Prima Donna.

David Skolnik

&gt;----- Original message ----------------------------------------&gt;
&gt;From: David Skolnik &lt;davidskolnik@optonline.net&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;ilvey@sbcglobal.net&gt;, Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
&gt;Received: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:41:06 -0500
&gt;Subject: Re: &quot;should I stay or should I go?&quot;
&gt;
&gt; &gt;David I,
&gt;
&gt; &gt;You posted me privately, explaining that the stress you referred
&gt;to was
&gt; &gt;that  of trying to get absolute quiet.  I never considered  asking
&gt;for
&gt; &gt;quiet to be a stress.  Trying to tune aurally through noise is
&gt; &gt;stressful.  Do you mean to say that expecting a quiet environment
&gt;to tune
&gt; &gt;makes one a Prima Dona?  If that is your drift, I would take issue
&gt;with
&gt; &gt;such a contention.  Which situation did I describe that sounds
&gt;like &quot;NO
&gt; &gt;problem&quot;?
&gt;
&gt; &gt;Just looking for clarity.