1883 Bechstein upright scale

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:29:03 -0800

Michael Spalding said: "Yup, I'm with you all the way.  I definitely =
want to do a full scale evaluation.  As I stated, the only question I =
have is, what pitch was the piano originally designed for?  You state =
435.  Reasons?  My limited info indicates manufacturers and musicians =
were all over the map at that time.

thanks

Michael,
You are absolutely correct! Even though, the German pianos were meant to =
be tuned at a whole lot more than 440cps, in that period, I choose =
435cps, because that is the pitch that the US tuners were, most =
prevalently using when the piano was new. Hence, the lower pitch, gave =
the piano a much mellower sound, which is what was expected of the =
instrument. I've found that most German pianos, of that period, had VERY =
good wire that will take pitch raises w/o a problem. If you choose to =
just do a straight 440cps scale evaluation and smooth up the =
inconsistencies....Fine. I don't think you'll have any problem(s). My =
reasoning for using 435cps, is more in the line of tone. Because the =
board is stiffer, from age, it tends to have a more strident projection =
with the original scale up to 440cps. I'm just speaking from MY =
experience.=20
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police