1883 Bechstein upright scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:18:41 -0600

>Ron,
>Years ago, I calculated this and found that the difference between 435cps
>and 440cps, (an olde 1900 type upright was the patient), was just a bit
>over 500 lbs added tension.

Hi Joe. Sure, it depends on the scale. My spreadsheet is set up with the
variable "Fork", representing A-4, to which I can assign any pitch - say,
435, 440, 442, etc. Unison pitches are figured from the "Fork" with
=0.0625*fork*2^((Unison-1)/12), and tensions from the pitches, etc. I can
look at the total tension sum, change the fork, and subtract. Different
scales will give different numbers. No, it's not all that accurate, because
the tuning stretch and resulting increase in tensions isn't figured in, but
it's plenty close enough for scaling.

>Not enough to be concerned about, IMO, seeing as how most plates are
>WAAAAYYY over engineered. (Yeah, I know, there are exceptions.<G>
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

Yea, in the treble, they are. The bottom half is a tad more worrisome.

Ron N