Motorized hammer filing horrors.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:27:22 -0800 (PST)

I'm glad you seem to be
adequately adept to use these things, Terry, and I say
that without a molecule of sarcasm. Considering your
well-noted dedication to quality, I am sure that you
speak truthfully. But I have seen SO MANY sets of
hammers gruesomely mutilated by "tooners" with these
motorized Implements of Doom that I would not advise
anyone to use them: even if I could myself!
     My favorite implement of hammer filing is a
spring-steel machinist's rule with self-stick
sandpaper ( available from auto paint stores in
various grades )  on it.  It is more reliably flat
than the wooden paddles, THINNER ( to get under and
around stuff ) lighter and narrower than the Pianotech
"permanent" sanding paddle ( which is also nice, but
harder for me to control ) and can even be washed out
afterwards, if you use the right paper.
( Last stuff I used was some green 3M stuff. The dye
washed out, but the paper stuck and lasted for about
10 filings! )
     Thump