How do we tell customers that the work done on their pianosstinks?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:02:42 -0500

I run into this quite often. I use the car analogy to describe how =
pianos wear out. I also point out how pianos differ from antique cars =
that are "all original". The reasons a restored 1962 Corvette with all =
original parts and matching serial numbers is worth anything is because =
there are not any cars made like them anymore and mostly because there =
are many car clubs around where folks get together and show off their =
cars, etc., etc.

A 1902 or a 1962 or a 2002 Steinway or Bechstein or whatever uprights or =
grands don't look a whole lot different from one another. There are no =
piano clubs/magazines, etc. that attracts antique piano collectors, etc. =
An antique piano has no intrinsic value. The only way an "antique" piano =
has any value is usually if Harry Truman or Glenn Gould owned it, or =
maybe if it is very unusual in some unique way.

Then give them an appraisal of the wholesale value of their piano: less =
than zero. Give them a retail value of their piano: zero to $500 =
depending on cosmetics (does it have all the keytops) and whether all =
the keys work.

That usually does it. If they still don't believe you, then perhaps they =
just need to hear the same thing from another qualified technician.

Now you need to focus on these original parts - parts replacement. The =
"all original" restored 1962 Corvette has all its original metal and =
fiberglass parts (not even that actually - it could have a new =
alternator, etc., etc. - just the original "type") but all the =
SOFT/ORGANIC parts have been replaced with new. The seat covers and =
radiator hoses and brake lines are all new - they were not made by =
Chevrolet. The piano is the same way. The "hard parts", i.e. the parts =
that don't wear out or deteriorate on their own can stay - the case, =
plate, frame, keybed, etc. But the SOFT/ORGANIC parts that wear need to =
be replaced if you want it to look/perform like new - hammers, action =
parts, strings (not soft or organic, but you can replace with original =
type), soundboard and whatever.

Only for a museum restoration is there any reason to try and preserve =
everything in its original state. But keep in mind that is done for =
historical preservation only - not to make something work for everyday =
use.

If that doesn't work. Walk away - its hopeless!

BTW, IMHO those old Knabes are among the finest, if not the finest, =
uprights ever built - premium remanufacturing stock! Ya might even want =
to tell her you know someone in the business.......   ;-)

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20