CA in a hurry

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:39:42 -0500

Many ways to skin a kitty, of course. My personal preference when a pin =
is that loose is to use a sandpaper shim. Very predictable 100% of the =
time.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 4:12 PM
  Subject: RE: CA in a hurry

  I'm with Carl. Don't take the pins out.=20

  =20

  Use a hypo oiler and apply about as much as you would apply pin =
tightener, i.e., squeeze it for about a half second until the glue looks =
like it will puddle. Let it soak in a little and re-apply.=20

  =20

  I would give it 10-30 minutes, depending on how loose they were. If =
that still won't hold, then take the pin out and let it run all the way =
down into the hole. Reinsert pin right away and bring it up. It probably =
won't hold right away. Try again in 10-30 minutes or so. I've seen =
holding power increase after a few days, even. Unless there is moisture =
present, it can take awhile for the CA glue to fully set. My opinion is =
the slower the better. You are swelling wood and setting it. That is =
what is holding the pin, not an adhesive bond.=20

  =20

  Make sure you pull the action or take appropriate steps to protect =
things should any glue run through.

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359