CA in a hurry

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:27:15 +0100

On 17-nov-04, at 18:11, Joe Garrett wrote:

> Andre' said: "Now, I must tell you that hardly anybody on this side of=20=

> the pond uses=3D20=3D
>
> CA glue for pin blocks.
> =A0
> That don't make it a bad thingee!<G> It just means you haven't the=20
> availability or the chutzpah!<G>

I did not say it is bad, but I have tried something else in the past=20
and it was a bummer.
The issue about Chutzpah I leave open till we meet one day over a nice=20=

beer.

> So, if there are no cracks (and she is talking about a Steinway!)=20
> why=3D20
> use CA glue?
> =A0
> Because it WORKS!

Sure it works, I am just more old fashioned when it comes to this and=20
my personal common sense, plus long time experience, tells me that an=20
oversize pin, let us say from mm 16.9 to mm 17,2 (which is almost=20
nothing really) is a very safe and very reliable solution, without any=20=

danger of a pin block cracking.

> Modern pin blocks can easily take on over size tuning pins and=3D20
> according to me, an oversize tuning pin is much more reliable.
> =A0
> And it's sooooomuch fun with different sized tuning pins! Your tuning=20=

> hammer fits most, but the oversized ones not! Besides, we tend to get=20=

> into a rhythm, with tuning, every time you hit an oversized one, the=20=

> mechanical advantage is different, making the consistancy more=20
> difficult.

I don't agree here because I use a very fine Yamaha tuning hammer with=20=

only tip nr 1, the smallest tip.
With this tip, I can tune all tuning pins and hardly notice the=20
difference, and don't care either.

> Besides, I believe Barbara said that there were a LOT of loose ones.=20=

> Some looser than others. Sure sounds like job for CA to me!<G>

And it sure sounds like a restringing job to me, with an oversize pin,=20=

like we do all the time here on all the instruments we repair.
> Best Regards,

Of course Joe!
Someday, we'll meet.

(; >)))