starting business

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:23:12 EST

Greetings,

              I am in business a whopping 18 months and I get nearly half of
my business from the Yellow Pages.

               I call all the local school districts and churches every 6
months. When you make calls to schools and churches you get alot of "no's". But
some eventually cave in. If they say no thanks, but sound unsure, I ask them if
they would like a card and a small resume in case they need a back up tuner,
they ususally say yes. Then I send it to them.

                I have one school district that tried me and liked my work
and price and they have given me 10 tunings for the second school year in a row!
Another high school gives me 4 tunings last October and this October so far,
and just those two are a nice chunk of change that keeps me going. Christmas
always gets buzy.

                Through my phone calls I have gotten to do about 20 churches
usually 2 or more pianos each.  I also called music stores and ask if I can
send them or drop off a pile of business cards to keep on their front counter.
They ususally say yes. I get calls on those too. It all adds up, and right now
I have about 3 to 4 tunings a week, sometimes more. When I first started I
only had 1 to 2 tunings a week for the first 6 months or so. Summer; it seems
like the 4th of July hits and its almost dead till around end of August.

                 You'll also run into repair, card and voicing jobs and key
re-covering jobs that you find at your tuning appointments. These jobs are
usually unexpected which is nice. From time to time you will get calls where a
person wishes to buy a piano, but wants an evaluation to see if its worth their
purchase. I always tell them that I can evaluate playing condition only - not
antique value or anything like that. For those calls I charge $45 which is
about half my tuning rate. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Best wishes,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA