rebuilding decisions

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:28:36 +0200

On 3-okt-04, at 14:50, Mark Davidson wrote:

> After searching for a baby grand on which to learn some more skills, I=20=

> had the good fortune to obtain a 1925 Henry F. Miller for small $$. =20=

> (Ad said "needs tuning").
>
> Not in good condition, obviously, but all the notes play and all the=20=

> pieces are there, and it is clear after looking it over a bit that=20
> this was a high quality piano when new. Gorgeous mahogany underneath a=20=

> mediocre refinishing job.

If you want to do a very good 'learning' job, I would try to make it a=20=

very beautiful repair. As nice as is possible.

> So now I have to make decisions about what to repair/replace.  Some=20
> things are obvious: needs a pinblock, and much of the felt is moth=20
> eaten.  Hammers have about 1cm long strike "points".  Tuning pins=20
> rusty.  Squeaky, flattened knuckles.

OK, so you put in a new pin block, replace all the felts, put in new=20
strings, hammer change including new shanks, key bushings, cleaning the=20=

keyboard, dampers, etc

> Less obvious (to me) are
>
> bridges - hairline cracks near pins, worse on bass bridge.  Easiest=20
> would be to fill with epoxy, as has been discussed.  But I might learn=20=

> more by recapping??  I'll get some photos.  Bass bridge has 9=20
> monochords, 11 bichords, 8 trichords (all wound).  All the rest is=20
> plain wire.

Recapping is a much more valuable learning job and not the easy way out.

> soundboard - haven't done any measuring yet.  No cracks visible, but=20=

> it's covered with dirt and still the humid season here.  Crazed=20
> finish.  I suppose if it has no crown / downbearing and lots of=20
> cracks, the answer is obvious, but what if that's not the case?

That seems obvious : if the board is not cracked, you could renew the=20
lacquer so that it looks very good again. If it is cracked, you go all=20=

the way.

> There is a lot written on how to measure crown and downbearing, a lot=20=

> less written on what to do with that information.

Oh but I think we have such sound board giants here that they will sure=20=

help you out. That's what this list is for, am I right?

> center pin bushings - seem to be in surprisingly good condition, not=20=

> loose nor overly tight.

Give'm a CLP treatment anyway.

> whippens - It's very complicated compared with modern ones I've seen. =20=

> These have some felts that need replacing, but also have silk cords=20
> that look OK. Photo attached.

So replace the worn felts/cloth and clean it up. Especially the saddle=20=

cloth is important.

> One interesting design problem.  There are agraffes all the way to the=20=

> top, and treble hammers are rubbing and hanging up on the plate in the=20=

> high treble.  This limits how close you can get the strike point to=20
> the end of the string.

That means you need a Bechstein-like hammer with a very thin treble=20
hammer.  An undrilled Bechstein hammer would probably your best=20
solution

> I don't really need to make a big profit on this piano, but would like=20=

> to be able to recover my out of pocket costs when done.  It's=20
> primarily an educational exercise.
>
> Thoughts?

These were my thoughts  (;

friendly greetings