OT Windows XP SP2

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 06:28:51 -0700

There do seem to be some problems with high security programs when
computers need to talk to each other on a regular basis.  That may be
why there are problems for the university.  Windows does have problems
and apparently Micorsoft Outlook is not the best email program in this
respect, though I don't know exactly why.  I downloaded SP2 recently and
have had no problems.  It has a pop up blocker, in fact, which I like.
The best firewall, I hear, is to simply intall a router.  Since I have
two computers and one high speed cable connection, the router was
necessary.  But you can install one even if you don't have the multiple
use need that I do and the firewall protection is apparently worth it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 6:20 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: OT Windows XP SP2

Yes, I've been waiting just for the "other shoe" to drop.  But SP2 was
released Aug. 13.  There have apparently been two more versions of it
since then, and nothing scary or ugly.  There are definitely some major
security holes plugged, such as the one that can allow damage to your PC
thru nothing more sinister than opening a .jpg (the GDI+ loophole).

So carve out some time when things are slow, check out the list of
affected software (manufacturers have had time to respond to the final
SP2 release, now), and give it a shot.  If you're already running a
firewall (like ZoneAlarm, which I recommend instead of Windows'
firewall, since it works in both directions -- www.zonelabs.com), or
don't download many things from the Internet, or are on dialup (where
your exposure is limited), it's not as much of a benefit.

--Cy--