Downbearing - Setting with Loose Board

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:24:04 EDT

=20
Terry, David
    My procedure is similar. I locate the bolt  holes thru the bosses & mark=
=20
the board with a Forster bit. I with  the plat removed I drill small pilot=20
holes in approx. the same place I  drill for the acoustic dowels later. No=20
filling.=20
  I use a bar clamp and block to hold the board tight, as  close to the plat=
e=20
as possible in the back bass corner. I use a piece of square  rib stock with=
=20
blocks & clamps on the long side. On the belly I relocate the  original damp=
er=20
guide rail screw holes & use the rails to hold the front  down. This way=20
there are no obstructions for my bearing string.=20
 At this point my treble soundboard trim cap is already  glued & screw holes=
=20
relocated. I use this for my dry fit & I am VERY  careful to get this entire=
=20
corner snugly down as tight possible. I also put two  screws in the board at=
=20
the treble corner board trim piece to further insure that  this spot is tigh=
t. =20
Otherwise one will cut the bridge cap height to short  every time. I guarant=
ee=20
it. The trim cover the holes later. One screw is  adjacent to the very end o=
f=20
the bridge the other spaced about 3 inches  back.
   The plate is then set in on its nose bolts &  I attach it to the flange=20
with a screw on either side of each strut & one  top and bottom. Usually abo=
ut 8=20
screws. I use the nose bolts to set my elevation  so the rear plate just sit=
s=20
on my 1/8 wedge.
  If there is a treble bell bolt this goes in as well. I  usually put the=20
plate elevation so the rear bolt boss is on approx. 1/8 inch  wedge. I clamp=
 this=20
down with a block & clamp. The nose caps go on at this  point & lock in plac=
e.
  I then use wedges to pre stress my board, cut the  notches in the bridge=20
top.
  This set up leave a lot of room to work.
   Dale Erwin

On the soundboard  that I=E2=80=99m currently doing I=E2=80=99ve secured the=
 board to the=20
rim with screws and  cardboard washers=E2=80=94as in front rail punchings. =20=
A few small=20
screws (#8 x 1 =C2=BC=E2=80=9D and they  have that built in washer at the he=
ad) into the=20
rim in the area under the  plate about every 12 =E2=80=93 18=E2=80=9D or so=20=
(I can=E2=80=99t remember=20
the exact spacing), and a  clamping block on the straight side and the cutof=
f=20
area where the plate is not  in the way.  I drill the hole  through the pane=
l=20
large enough so that the screw is not actually cutting or  binding in the=20
panel, only in the rim.  Once the board is in the holes can be  filled and w=
on=E2=80=99t=20
show anyway since they are under the plate.  =20
=20
David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net =20

Erwins Pianos  Restorations=20
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com