Epoxy/bridge pins application

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:57:37 EDT

=20
Hey Joe I missed your method. Can you send it my  way?
  Thanks
   Dale

>From the West System web site - _www.westsystem.com_=20
(http://www.westsystem.com/)  :
=20
CAUTION! ...... Never  heat mixed epoxy in a liquid state over 120=B0F  (49=
=B0C).
=20
There is a better solution (than use of  solvents) to get good penetration=20
without losing strength or moisture  resistance. We recommend moderate heati=
ng=20
of the repair area and the epoxy  with a heat gun or heat lamp. The epoxy wi=
ll=20
have a lower viscosity and  penetrate more deeply when it is warmed and=20
contacts the warmed wood cavities  and pores. Although the working life of t=
he epoxy=20
will be considerable  shortened, slower hardeners (206, 207, 209) will have=20=
a=20
longer working life  and should penetrate more than 205 Hardener before they=
=20
begin to gel. When the  epoxy cures it will retain all of its strength and=20
effectiveness as a moisture  barrier, which we feel more than offsets any=20
advantages gained by adding  solvents to the epoxy.=20
I pull the bridge pins, recondition the cap (plane &  notch - why else are=20
you restringing the piano?), and dap epoxy into pin  holes, dab pin in epoxy=
,=20
insert pin. I don't have to heat and have had  excellent results.=20
Terry Farrell

=20