RPT/Associate Debate

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:41:25 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "lgulli2586" <lgulli2586@rogers.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 9:01 PM
Subject: RPT/Associate Debate
 I am 52 now, and have made it a life dream and goal, to attain RPT status.
I have not taking an easy road as so many have suggested, and just hang out
a shingle under the PTG umbrella. Listening to a lot of discussion and
technical hoopera some expouse is very intimidating. Maybe that is why a
fear factor shows up, and many dont take the challenge. After reading  so
many articles on tuning and technical work one is led to believe it is
rocket science, and I aint a "rocket scientist"..Just a few thoughts.

    Jeez, it's not that big a deal.  If you can regulate a grand and an
upright action model reasonably well and if you can do most of the more
common repairs on keys and action parts and broken strings reasonably well,
and if you pay attention to detail and do careful, tidy work, you'll pass.
That's all that's required to become an RPT.  RPT doesn't equal "world class
top technician suitable for any and all world class top concert artists."
It just means you're knowledgeable enough about pianos to do most of the
common regulating and repair tasks to please most pianists.
    Now if you want to ace all parts of all the exams at 100%, then yes, you
should really know your stuff, but I've seen several not-very-experienced
"beginning" technicians score in the high 90% bracket because they studied
the exam source books and practiced the repair tasks and had someone
evaluate   action model regulations that they had done.
    I had certain Boy Scout merit badges and high school biology, chemistry,
and algebra tests that involved more studying, preparation and practice than
passing the RPT tech exam.
    --David Nereson, RPT