poxy on soundboards and seminar in Bruxelles

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:49:25 -0400

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself, but I'll take a stab at this one.
Two things come to mind.

First is predictability. The properties of a new piece of spruce are
predictable within a known range. These characteristics are then used to
design a soundboard - whether it be from empirical information, engineering
and math, or a combination of the two. With a 100-year-old soundboard panel,
the property range, I'm quite sure, would be much broader because
compression damage would presumably change some of the properties. This is
germane if the soundboard design incorporates some reliance on compression
for crown formation. So, perhaps one could say that a re-crowned soundboards
might have more diverse personality than new soundboards.

When I build one of the six soundboards per year that I do, I want to know
how it will sound with as much certainty as is possible. If I were building
5,000+++ pianos a year, I might look forward to the concept of diverse piano
personality.

The second thing is that the concept of a re-crowned panel sounding and
performing similar to a new panel likely incorporates building a rib-crowned
soundboard with little or no compression in the panel. With such a
soundboard my understanding is that the panel's primary (only?) function is
to form a barrier to air, such that as the soundboard vibrates, it moves
air. So whether it is a new panel or an old one, may not make a whole lot of
difference.

But where is the advantage to using an old panel? Except for marketing of
course. And of course, one would have to be wanting to restore the piano to
its original design if the old panel is used - oops, but then if one builds
a rib-crowned board with the original panel, then maybe the piano is not
true to its original design. So as long as you are changing the

Terry Farrell

Richard wrote:

"such a panel
should sound and perform virtually identical to a new panel similarilly
rib crowned... and its easy enough to find that series of posts between
him and I.  I reacted immediatly to the claim that on the one hand you
had this  "compression damage" thing that virtually rendered the panel
useless, then on the other hand this same useless peice of wood could be
rib-crowned and made to function just like a new rib crowned board."