Voicing & such

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:21:39 -0500

Thanks, Guy!  It's nice to know that having to lower the treble in those =
pianos I pre-voiced wasn't my imagination!  Now, what can I do about =
those voices??  :-)

When I served as CERVP (1986-1988--I was eighteen........um......not) I =
was told that one of my duties was to be able to teach a class =
appropriate for chapter meetings or seminars.  It was sort of a hard =
thing for me, since, at the time, I had only been a technician for four =
years and, well, I was no whiz kid.  Just think of what it was like to =
have four years experience, feeling sort of nervous while getting my =
stuff ready for my very first seminar class and have LaRoy Edwards and =
Ben McKlveen come into the classroom and sit down.  Sometimes they =
giggled, I told them to be quiet.  ;-) =20

I chose to speak about selling a bit of service with each tuning--since =
that was what I was successful at and knew about.  Actually I think =
LaRoy and Ben where the ones who clued me in on it in the first place a =
few years prior.  (The method was to break up a big regulating job or =
whatever into an hour with each tuning for customers who were reluctant =
to pay for a "big job" all at once.  No, it's not ideal, but it can =
work.)  The tech responses I got were varied, especially from those =
folks who sat through my class with arms crossed across their chests.  =
One time, when I talked about doing a bit of quick hammer filing, a tech =
said to me in elevated tones, "Well, there's hammer filing and then =
there's hammer filing."  I smiled and said, "That's right and I =
understand what you're talking about.  In this instance, this kind of =
hammer filing is going to let the customer get an idea of what the =
possibilities are for their piano."   It sure has sold a lot of =
jobs--not to mention having made tuning those pianos much more =
pleasurable.

Barbara Richmond, RPT=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20