the new Wurzen Punchings : how it works

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:02:18 -0600

Greetings Andre,
                              I have a few thoughts of why this is so.

1.   In the discussion it has been assumed the hammer immediately moves=20
upwards.  Not always . ppp Yes, fff No.
At about Mezzo,  the inertia and mass of the hammer will cause the shank to=
=20
bend and the hammer dip downwards, before starting to travel towards the=20
string.  If every thing is well regulated there is less loss of energy in=20
the loose mechanical coupling of all the respective action parts.  The more=
=20
energy that is retained in the bent shank, the faster it will rebound from=
=20
the string as it releases it's energy.  The tighter the let off within=20
concert reg limits, the more pronounced the effect..

Terry mentioned the base ball bat follow through.   The bat bends in=20
exactly the same manner. Just at the point of release the bend energy gives=
=20
the ball a little extra 'pop'.  Over simplified I know.  But a reasonable=20
Hypothesis.

2.  Any regulation, tuning, or voicing action, will change the personality=
=20
of the instrument, and will have a profound effect on the pianist.  So the=
=20
pianist will adapt to take advantage of the effect.   They will do it=20
subliminally, and will never say to you. WOW the after touch is so well=20
defined.

3.  One of the reasons Werzen felt hammers work so nicely, is the elastic=20
effect of the shoulders springing the hammer from the string.   Dwell time
(The amount of time the hammer stays in contact with the string) is every=20
thing, when it comes to producing good tone.

Just my thought's on the subject

Regards Roger