Changing Buttons

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:27:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Jon.

Jon Page <jonpage@comcast.net> wrote:
Back the screws off until the buttons drop off (into a short container).

This is a good opportunity to reinforce the hammer rail (especially if the
wippens are off as well) with long sheet rock screws. If I haven't described
this procedure on the list, I will do so with accompanying pix; it was part of
a presentation for the RI Chapter last year. (jpg attached) End of tangent

To squarely install new buttons, use hammer removing pliers to hold the
button against the rail. Reverse the plunger bolt so that the head is
supporting
the button. The prongs which straddled the shank now will straddle the
eyescrew.

Use moderate pressure gripping the pliers and turn the screw in,. When the
threads are in sufficiently the button will spin on the bolt head. That
usually is
enough. If you have further ambition to insure their tightness after all
are installed,
hold each button with your fingers and give the screw an eight to quarter
turn.

Regards,

Jon Page