PVC-E glue

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:35:56 -0700

I have the Oslund key planer and of course plane the keytop top. =
 I wish I one of those Oslund Key Clamps though...
I'm going to try rolling the glue on with a disposable 1" roller,=
 if there is such a thing...

David I.

Original message
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Subject: PVC-E glue

David Ilvedson asked: "I'm going to try PVC-E glue for the next=
 keytop job.   Questions:   I have a new jar, thick as warm=
 honey...jar says don't thin more than 5% so it must be close to=
 the right consistency?   How is it applied?   Roller?  Brush? =
 Finger?   Both key and keytop?   Let them dry before joining?  =
 Do I have much wiggle room for moving slightly?   I understand I=
 don't need to clamp...?   Let dry 24 hours before trimming?

Thanks in advance

David,
I've been using it for a while. I first tried applying with an=
 "acid brush". Too messy. I thin by about 10% and put it in an=
 Elmers Glue bottle, (w/spoon and small funnel). I run a line=
 down the key stick and then smear it around with my finger. For=
 me, this works much better.
As I have an Oslund Key clamp, I've been clamping. The clamp=
 holds 6 keys. So, by the time the 6th one is placed in the=
 clamp, it's time to clean the glue squeeze off of #1. This needs=
 to be done, as the darn stuff really gums up my Trimmer! By the=
 time I've cleaned all of the keys, in the clamp(s), it's time to=
 take #1 out and start on a new key. It's definately slower than=
 Contact Cement, but I'm hoping it won't have the "failure" rate=
 of contact. I like to let the keys set overnight, before=
 trimming, etc.
I hope that helps.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.