seating strings

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:00:20 -0700

>Hello List and Phillip Ford who said:
>
>  >String speaking length terminated on the rim?  Now you've
>completely lost me.  Any possibility of some pictures?
>In answer to my comment: "String spacing is by the holes on one side
>and string speaking-length is terminated on the rim opposite."
>Sorry, I didn't have my camera with me. Maybe the choice of the term
>"rim" was unfortunate. OK. Imagine now that these agraffes are made
>from a strip of channelled brass. Individual agraffes are cut from
>this material. Holes (three, two or one) are drilled through one
>"rim" or "side" or "upright" of this cut off piece of channel. This
>is for string spacing. The other "rim or "side" or "upright" is only
>as high as the centre of the three spacer holes opposite it. This is
>where the speaking length of the string "terminates". Of course the
>actual string continues to the hitch in one direction and to the
>wrest pin in the other direction. Each agraffe is held in place by a
>c/s brass wood screw, there being a counter-sunk hole drilled
>through the base of the agraffe.
>I know a picture is worth a thousand words, Phillip, but you've had
>to put up with the words! :-)
>Regards
>Michael G.(UK)

Thanks Michael.  I think I got it.  Perhaps the oldest form of bridge
agraffe.  I've never seen one of these.  It sounds similar in concept
to the agraffes on a Feurich that I have.  The string termination is
on a half round 'lip' with string spacing and down force on the lip
provided by a conventional agraffe.  I believe I have a picture of
this around here somewhere.  I'll send it along when I find it.

Phil Ford